2010 Climb to Beat Breast Cancer - Mount Washington NH

Hello NJYP, (message from John Castro)

Almost a year ago, I embarked on the challenge to climb Pikes Peak in Colorado. The purpose of this climb was to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer.  The climb was a great success thanks to the support of our families, friends and colleagues. Let me tell you, it was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. Some of you might have followed my progress on FB and your continuous support through the climb was greatly appreciated.

Up until 2 weeks ago, I did not know if I was going to be able to participate in this year’s climb of Mount Washington. I received some not so good news regarding my health. What started out as a check up for an ulcer, became my own cancer scare. For about 8 weeks, I endured countless tests and exams to rule out the possibility that I had cancer. It was by far one of the worse times of my life. Today, I consider myself extremely blessed that I was completely cleared from having this illness. This experience completely changed my outlook on life and furthermore, it made me realize the importance to continue raising awareness of this horrible disease.

For those who I didn’t know last year, my good friend Francesco Lucarelli asked me to participate in the first Climb to Beat Breast Cancer in the US. Francesco’s mother, unlike my-self, was in fact diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately she died in 2001 after a two-and-a-half year battle with the disease. Since then he has tried to live the life she would have wanted for him and to live it to the fullest. In February of 2007 he successfully climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa as a way to honor his mom and to raise money for the Van Elslander Cancer Center. In February of 2008, he once again tackled the challenge of another of the world’s “Seven Summits” by climbing Mt. Aconcagua in Argentina.  Last year, we followed with our first team climb of Pike's Peak.

On June 26, 2010, we will continue this legacy as we take on Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Mount Washington, at 6,288 feet high, is the tallest mountain in the northeastern part of the United States. It is one of most popular hiking, backcountry skiing, alpine climbing and ice climbing destinations in New England. It is a very challenging, yet attainable summit. These expeditions – including the Mount Washington Challenge – will prove to be a unique way to increase awareness and education about breast cancer and to raise critical funds needed to stop the breast cancer epidemic.

I hope that you will be as excited as I’m for this year’s Climb to Beat Breast Cancer and look forward to your support and well wishes. Below you will find a link where you can make your generous contributions to this great cause.  Every donation counts, no matter how small.

Thank you again for considering this request. Please forward this page link on to friends, family, and colleagues so that they too can join in this meaningful journey. I hope that you will follow our climb via the internet and join our team in honoring my friend’s Mother and all those battling breast cancer.

Sincerely,
John Castro

http://www.stjohnprovidence.org/InnerPage.aspx?PageID=6020

My Facebook cause page:

http://www.causes.com/causes/483142/about?m

Views: 82

Reply to This

Connect!

Enter Your E-Mail for NJYP Event Updates!

Visit our sponsor partner

BAM Sports Leagues runs co-ed recreational sports leagues for adults in Northern/Central NJ!

Sports: Kickball, Dodgeball, Softball, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Floor Hockey, Volleyball.

Photos

© 2024   Created by Brian and Mike.   Powered by

info@NJYP.org  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service