New Jersey Young Professionals

Get out. Make friends. Meet people in NJ.

START DATE: June 13.. Need a place in Morristown ;)

Confirmed today that my start date in June 13. They did say I could start the 20th if I needed extra time.

Hope to find a place in Morristown on the short notice.

UPDATE: Areas suggested by Verizon Wireless HR (please rank based on my wants/desires)

Morristown

Bridgewater

Hoboken (is a bit of a ride but we do have people that commute from that area if you’re looking for something close to NYC)

Somerset

Parsippany

---------------------

Where are you coming from?
College Park, MD (15 north of downtown Washington, DC)

Why are you moving?
Beginning a MBA LDP with Verizon Wireless

Where will you be working?
Basking Ridge, NJ

Will you buy or rent?
Rent

What is your budget?
Under $2000/month including Parking

What kind of place are you looking for?
At least 1 bed & 1 bath. 720 sqft or more. Washer & Dryer in Unit.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
I have two small cats.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
I am 29 and single. I live outside Washington, DC right now and don't take advantage of all the city has to offer because I am not close to metro and its a PITA to get in and out of the city since I don't live there.

Thus, (though the commute to Basking Ridge might suck), I have been looking around Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne in order to have access to more nightlife, young single professionals, etc.

I don't know anyone in the area and want to be close to the action (softball leagues, volleyball leagues, flag football, bars, entertainment, etc.)

I have read Morristown might be a good place, what are your thoughts?

If I can have EASY (ie, walking) distance to a train/metro system to get me from XYZ to Hoboken/Jersey City/Manhattan that might work out well.

I have read that taking public transportation to Basking Ridge would not be a great option since I have a car (car would be much faster).

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
1) Good location to meet new people, make new friends, and be able to have fun in my early 30s.
2) Commute convenience (I'll live with 40min or so if its moving traffic)
3) Walk-in closet/storage/ (essentially space, bang for buck)

Tags: Apartments, Basking, City, Commute, Hoboken, Jersey, Morristown, Rent, Ridge

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ouch, that is crazy.  See ya Camden and Miles... it was nice knowing ya :)

If I abandon the W/D in unit, what communities do you suggest that are in the downtown Morristown area?

to rent an apartment, you need to gross at least 3x the market rent on the unit...that is the MINIMUM requirement to rent an apartment through a reputable landlord in nj...i used to live in maryland, and i know things seemed to be a little more lenient there (at least where i was)...if that is not the issue, than its all about how much you need left over after paying rent, utlities, etc to play with...

oh...btw, train into nyc is like $28rt...im not trying to discourage you...im just trying to make sure you have all the info...it can be sticker shock moving here! my last place before moving back to nj in 2004 was in austin...and, that was so cheap, i nearly had a heart attack when i realized how much "compromise" id need to make to even afford to live here, let alone happily thrive here...lol

the fact of the matter is, you have to decide if these things that you cant compromise, are truly worth the extra cost...for some they are, for some they arent...i know lots of other people who live in morristown for a LOT less...so, it doesnt have to break the bank!

some places might not charge as much for your kitties...hopefully camden and miles get to stay w/you!!! (btw, i was very confused at first who camden and miles were when i first read that!)

to find other apartments...try www.apartmentratings.com :)

ps...i also happen to be an accountant! man...look at how much you got for that $19.99! :-p

I moved from NYC area to Morristown.  Hoboken is better but Morristown is a good second option.  I would not tackle the commute of Hoboken to Basking Ridge unless you work from home sometimes or have flexible hours.  I would not consider any other NJ towns if you social life is important to you.

Hope that helps!  Inbox if you would like anyother info.  I went through the same thing a few months back.

Morristown would be a great place to live and meet new people.   It's such a pretty town with festivals, awesome restaurants and fun bars.  They have a lot of happy hours and parking would be easy.  If you lived in Hoboken, Bayonne or Jersey City, those places are fun too buttt parking is awful!  You would have to pay about $200/month to guarantee parking.   Morristown's rent would definitely be tons cheaper too.  Good luck!! 

There are some shady areas of Morristown so make sure you run the address by some of your new NJYP friends if you are not going to be spitting distance from the train/green.  If the rent looks too good to be true, there is a reason.

Otherwise, I think Morristown is a GREAT place to live.  Hundreds of Members live there.

Thanks ;)
Christine Luckey said:
Morristown would be a great place to live and meet new people.   It's such a pretty town with festivals, awesome restaurants and fun bars.  They have a lot of happy hours and parking would be easy.  If you lived in Hoboken, Bayonne or Jersey City, those places are fun too buttt parking is awful!  You would have to pay about $200/month to guarantee parking.   Morristown's rent would definitely be tons cheaper too.  Good luck!! 

Oh, good to know! What areas are bright? Lol (don't know what you call un-shady places to live, ;)) Laura Occhipinti said:

There are some shady areas of Morristown so make sure you run the address by some of your new NJYP friends if you are not going to be spitting distance from the train/green.  If the rent looks too good to be true, there is a reason.

Otherwise, I think Morristown is a GREAT place to live.  Hundreds of Members live there.

Your welcome.  Congrats on the new job by the way.  When does the big move happen?

Anthony said:

Thanks ;)
Christine Luckey said:
They have yet to provide a start date. I thought it would be a good idea to start gathering information.

I'll be in NJ next Sat and Sun driving around looking at places. I'm thinking the move will happen end of May/early June.
Thanks to everyone for all of the great information and recommendations.

So far, everyone seems to be leaning me to Morristown (Morris Plains)...

Anything/anywhere else I need to consider??

(look forward to meeting you all when I get settled)

youve also got montclair...a lot of njypers live there too...id say its not quite as pedestrian as morristown, but depending on where you live, you can walk to bars/restaurants...if you can find a good way on back roads to get to basking ridge, you might want to consider that too...though, it also tends to be pricey if youre looking for a place w/a w/d...that whole w/d thing is seriously a major issue in the towns you are looking at...lol...i feel your pain though...i was so used to pretty much everything having a w/d, dedicated parking, etc...youd think moving from maryland it would be similar (especially as close to dc as you are) but this state is very over populated... ;)

if you dont need to be w/in walking distance of lots of bars/restaurants where younger people frequent...then morris plains, parsippany, somerville, bridgewater...well...there are lots of town..,you can really live anywhere if youre willing to drive to your social life!  the thing is, these towns are all VERY close together...later at night and on weekends, they a quick hope in the car...its during rush hour that things will slow down a lot (but nothing like the capital beltway, ill tell you that!)...

keep us updated on what youre looking at, if what youre looking for changes, etc...oh...and let us know when you move...we are having a memorial day picnic at a park in morristown and many of us will be there!

Thanks! I will definitely keep everyone updated.  I have never lived "in the city" and during this relocation I am putting tremendous value in the ability to walk to my social life.  I want to be more involved with the community and have a more active life than i do now (living outside the city).

As for the W/D in unit... it's more of a convenience thing.  I'm fine with taking everything to a place that will wash and fold for me :P (they exist right? I've been doing my own laundry my whole life, hehe)

Parking.... Yea, I've been parking in a garage or right out front of my APT since I can remember. Parking is important to me.

Basically it boils down to this:

1) Hoboken and JC seem to not make much sense because my commute will not be ideal (and I can always go out there on the weekends)

2) I want to live in a happening town with young professionals in their mid-20s to early-30s

3) I do not NEED a W/D in unit (but it would be nice)

4) I'd like parking near my apt (in my apt community if possible)

5) I pay $1350 for a 720 sqft apt now with Parking included.  Add in all utilities and I'm out about $1500 a month.  I would like to not go over $2000 for rent/parking/utilities (worst case scenario)

OH and to everyone who has been contributing to this thread... FIRST ROUND ON ME :)

-Anthony

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect!

Enter Your E-Mail for NJYP Event Updates!

© 2014   Created by Laura Occhipinti.

info@NJYP.org  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service